FULL-TIME BUSINESS LADY

Image: Letterfolk

Hey guys. It's been a hot minute since I've updated this space with any degree of regularity, but if you'll humour me by stopping back next Monday, I'm intended to post on a weekly basis (!).

I've missed blogging, but between an engagement (mine), wedding (also mine!), renovating, moving house, working in the city, and juggling my own business, writing for fun was kicked to the curb.

Thanks for stopping by, though. This space is probably looking a bit tired at the moment – might have to freshen it up soon but for now, time to get down to business.

Two new changes have allowed me to free up some time for blogging. 1) I've decided to make the time. 2) I've left my corporate job to focus on my own business.

I've been working in corporate desk jobs for the past decade and it was time to explore a new mode of work. If not now, when?

Four years ago I started a hobby business, Little Bow Thief, which I re-branded last year as Sweet Tilly Flint. The bizwah has been ticking along surprisingly successfully for such a niche side gig. It's always had room to expand, but I haven't had the time to do it. Juggling both my day job and Sweet Tilly Flint meant that I was working a lot of nights and weekends, at the expense of my sanity, and ability to spend weekends the way they should be spent – having fun and making memories!

We (husband and I) had been talking about the idea of me turning my side hustle into a full-time hustle for a while, but in the end it was my frustration with feeling boxed in at work that led to the final decision to test the legs of this business. Enough talking. Enough speculating. Time to see what the business can do, and what working from home is really like. If I never tried, I would never know. So here I am, full-time hustling. Eeeeep!

Today marks the beginning of my third week as a fully-fledged self-employed business chick. Over the past couple of weeks I've had to curb the urge to get lost in all the creative ideas in my head, and instead have focused on getting on top of general life admin (all those pesky jobs and papers that no one ever has time for) – plus taking care of orders as usual. I've also taken the time to draw up some solid work schedules, focus tasks and plans to move the business forward. It hasn't been easy to pump the breaks on crafting, but when there's a tonne of background work to do, de-cluttering and planning are key. I've got schedules for my scheduling and lists for my lists, and I can finally see myself edging forward. Case in point: today's blog post was brought to you as a result of my impressive new schedule. *pats self on back*

That's a little about where I'm at today. 

On the blog, over the next few weeks I want to  show you how I feng shui'd my home workroom, glimpse at my first impressions of being self-employed and working from home, and talk a bit about going plastic-free (beyond plastic-free July). 

Until next Monday!

x

No comments: