Homemade Whole Egg Mayonnaise Recipe


This extremely easy whole egg mayonnaise recipe is from Toxic Oil by David Gillespie. Why am I even bothering to make my own when supermarket whole egg mayo is so delish!? I'll tell you tomorrow.

This is the first mayonnaise recipe I've ever made and we (that is, myself and the resident male) are more than happy with it. I made my second batch yesterday.

Yield: Approximately 2 cups or 700ml
Fridge Life: At least a month, maybe more - I'll update this if and when I find out!

Ingredients

2 whole eggs (I used extra large)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups light olive oil*
salt and pepper to taste

*Note: This is extremely important! You cannot use extra virgin olive oil - it has too strong a taste. I tried it, and it is absolutely grose. So just look for olive oil that says 'mild' on the label.

Method

1. In a food processor, pulse eggs, mustard and lemon juice
2. Slowly, (whilst processing) add olive oil until mixture thickens
3. Taste and season with salt and pepper if required
4. Transfer to a sealed container (an old salsa jar is my jar of choice!) and refrigerate.

Because the recipe contains fresh whole eggs or fake preservatives, just be mindful to use what you need and then put the jar back in the fridge - you don't want to leave the jar hanging around outside on the BBQ table.

Aioli: add a couple of minced garlic gloves, an extra dessertspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.

Tartare Sauce: add one finely chopped small onion, 2 chopped dill pickles, a splash of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon of chives, and salt and pepper to taste.


Yesterday's lazy balcony picnic: chicken schnitzel with homemade mayo coleslaw. Yum!

No comments: