GOLDEN WHITE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES + AUNTY TIL'S RUM BALLS


I made a whole stack of these on Christmas Eve and took a plate to 3 different functions within a 24 window. Sneaky but time-effective.

You can find the recipe for my Aunty Til's rum balls in this post (scroll to the bottom).

White Chocolate Truffles

The published name for this recipe in Christmas Gifts by taste.com.au is 'Golden Eggnog Truffels' but since we're in Australia and not really famiiar with the whole eggnog concept, I changed the name. They are dark chocolate ganache on the inside, coated with white chocolate.

I'd never made this recipe and I had trouble with it. In fact, I have cooked 3 recipes from that book and had problems with all of them! Hmm... I don't think taste.com.au triple tests their recipes like the good ol' Australian Women's Weekly. If you follow my tips though, you should be able to make the recipe successfully. For me, I had to incorporate half a packet of crushed biscuits into the centre mixture, which completely changed the texture of it, much to my annoyance, because the recipe should have said to freeze something, instead of refrigerate something, and I didn't have time to play with. Anyway, as I said, I've incorporated my tips into the new recipe.

The recipe also called to decorate with edible gold leaf - this was way too expensive so I bought a little pot of edible glitter instead (about $8.50 compared to $38) and it worked just fine. Use a spoon or mini seive to tap the glitter onto the truffles.

Last but not certainly not least, I double dipped my truffles in white chocolate because one coat left a few patchy spots.

Makes about 30

Ingredients
300g dark chocolate, finely chopped
300ml double cream
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
60ml (1/4 cup) brandy or Cointreau
350g white chocolate melts
Edible gold leaf sheets or edible gold glitter (cake store)

1. Place dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place cream in a saucepan over medium heat and bring just to a simmer. Gradually stir into chocolate until melted and smooth. Add spices and brandy. Stir. Cool and place in the FREEZER (my edit) for 2 hours or until firm.

2. Line 2 trays with baking paper. Use cool, slightly damp hands to roll 1 teaspoonful of chocolate mixture into a ball. Place on 1 lined tray in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until firm.

3. Melt the white chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (do not let bowl touch the water). Skewer 1 truffle with a toothpick and dip quickly into the melted chocolate. Place on second lined tray. Repeat with the remaining truffles and melted chocolate. Re-coat the truffles with chocolate to cover any blotchy bits. Decorate using edible glitter or gold leaf.

Set at room temp, then store in the fridge until needed.


No comments: