YUMMY PANCAKES WITH SUGAR-FREE OPTION



Pancakes are one of those things that sugar quitters keep trying to tamper with, and I believe they should just STOP. Someone recently Instagrammed some Sugar-free Maca Coconut Buckwheat Protein Pancakes. Pancakes aren't supposed to be stiff and beige. Pancakes aren't supposed to be made from quinoa or sugar harvested from kale.

I have tried a few modified/healthified pancakes in my time, so I do know what I'm talking about. I have tried pancakes using wholemeal flour, and again I say to myself, "why?" I have also made pancakes using dextrose instead of sugar. The dextrose left a funny taste in my mouth. If you're going to go to the trouble of treating yourself with pancakes, you don't want them to be a chore to eat.

Thus I present to you a guaranteed YUM sugar-free recipe that will yield yummy pancakes!

It is by far the best sugar-free pancake recipe I've had, and all I had to do was... leave out the sugar from the regular pancake recipe I've used for years. I served them here with some frozen blueberries that I heated in the microwave.

Pancakes don't want to be a health food (they slipped me a note) but if it's just sugar you're trying to avoid, THIS is the recipe for you (obv. if you're totally avoiding fructose you'll skip the blueberries, but why would you, blueberries are excellent!)

PANCAKES

1 cup self-raising flour
Pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
2/3 cup sour milk*
3 tablespoons sugar (simply leave this out if you don't want sugar)
1 egg
2 teaspoons melted butter

*Make sour milk by adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to the milk, microwave for 30 seconds, stir.

Combine dry ingredients. Mix to a smooth batter with beaten egg and milk. Melt butter then stir into mixture. This recipe is good for pikelets - for a thinner pancake just add more milk.

Enjoy!

No comments: