Looney Ballooney

Last Monday morning I found myself marooned on the lounge under a tent of blankets at 4.30am, watching the World Cup grand final. Who gets up at 4.30am anyway? My attention started to drift at half time, and drift it did, over to Channel 7's Sunrise morning program where Donna Hay was busy making some white chocolate cups.

The soccer boys had officially lost my attention.


Do I have yours? These are white chocolate cups made from balloon moulds. This morning I successfully replicated said chocolate cups! Well... mine are a little more 'special' looking. We are having a family lunch tomorrow and my plan is to whip up some chocolate mousse in the morning to go into my delicious vessels.

On a somber note, I must confess I have just had white chocolate for breakfast (only white chocolate, not even white chocolate smeared on Weetbix) and feel like the little fat kid at a party who has no self control.

Anyway - you can find the recipe online and read my extra my hints below - from the experience of an amateur!







Tricky Tricks

200 grams of white chocolate will make about 4 cups. 

Cover baking trays with baking paper, sticking it to the trays with a smear of butter or cooking spray.

Donna Hay used water bomb balloons - I nearly fainted trying to blow these up (maybe because I skipped my Weetbix?!) - try regular balloons.

Melt chocolate over a double boiler. Get two small-ish saucepans, once larger than the other. Pour about an inch of boiling water into the larger saucepan, which should sit on high heat over the stove. (Boil the water in the kettle first to save energy). Sit the smaller saucepan inside the larger one and place the chocolate pieces inside to slowly melt. Make sure you don't get even a speck of water in the chocolate - it will go grainy and be ruined. 

Make one cup at a time. Spoon the cup 'bases' onto the baking paper then immediately dip a balloon to avoid all the bases setting before you're ready.


Waiting waiting...


No comments: